The Charity of Sir Thomas White, Warwick provides interest-free loans for young people undertaking tertiary education courses in respect of which central government grants may not be available.
The Charity was endowed by indenture in 1551 by Sir Thomas White, a most generous local benefactor. The Charity now operates under a new Scheme, revised in 2001.
Eligible candidates can borrow up to £1,500 per year for each year of their course, depending on the length of course and course requirements.
To be eligible for a loan you must be over 18 and under 35, and either you or your parents live within the old Borough of Warwick, i.e. with a CV34 postcode.
How it works
- Telephone 01926 350555 for application details, or download the application form below.
- When completed, return the application form together with details of your course to be undertaken and your financial requirements for the duration of the course.
- Two adults to guarantee repayment of your loan are required and each of them must complete the Guarantor Questionnaire attached to the application form below.
- An interview will then be arranged with a small panel of Trustees to discuss your requirements.
- If successful you will be required to sign a Loan Agreement in which you promise to repay the loan and your guarantors will be required to sign a Deed of Guarantee in which they agree to guarantee your performance and obligations under the terms set out in the loan documents.
- Repayment of the loan will commence 12 months after the final loan instalment has been paid, by Banker's Order over a period of up to 5 years.
What to do now
If you are interested in applying for a loan or require further information, telephone Belinda Shuttleworth the Clerk to the Charity on 01926 350555 or download the application form above.
Ensure that you have thought through your financial requirements for the duration of the course to be undertaken, in order that you can show the Trustees and your guarantors the validity of your proposals:
- Where is your course to be undertaken?
- What qualification will you achieve?
- What is the duration of the course?
- Have you been accepted on to the course?
- What other grants will you benefit from?
- What other loans are you committed to?
- What financial assisstance do you need while undertaking the course?
- What are your ambitions after completing the course?
- What do you consider will be your future earning capacity?
- Are you confident that you will be able to repay the loan?
You will need the answers to these questions.
Return the application form with your proposals, and we will invite you to attend an interview.
The Charity of Sir Thomas White, Warwick,
12 High Street,
The Charity of Sir Thomas White has improved my higher education experience in so many ways. The financial support allowed me to reduce hours spent at my part time job and allowed me to put more time and effort into my Psychology degree. I have now finished the academic year with a first-class honours. The Charity is fantastic and I would recommend to any student considering higher education.
Obtaining a loan for University can be expensive over the long term, especially with rising interest rates on student loans. Therefore, having access to an interest-free loan whilst at University can provide additional funds without the need to worry about additional charges. It is helpful to know that when I leave University, I will only pay back exactly what I borrowed in a manageable way.
The Charity of Sir Thomas White has aided me enormously in terms of being able to grasp an array of opportunities, such as being able to involve myself in a number of educational and exciting society events and trips, helping me to create fulfilling memories in my University experience.
Receiving the loan was such a help, and the people at the Charity were so nice and genuinely interested in my studies - don't be put off by the application process. It came in useful many times, for example, when there was a week between my student halls rent going out and my maintenance loan going in, or when my laptop broke just in time for my midterm essay. Student living is expensive! Make the most of the support available.
The loan from the charity has allowed me to focus not only on my university work but also on my hobbies, giving me time to join various societies. It has helped alleviate the pressure of having to work during term time, which is especially helpful around exam season as I can concentrate on revising without having to worry about money. The payment for 4 years will also be very useful for my 3rd year, which will be abroad in China and Spain as I study languages, giving me the opportunity to explore and learn whilst away from home.
The loan I received from the Charity of Sir Thomas White gave me the financial support to go on to post- graduate studies and gain an MA in Heritage Management. I have always wanted to work in the heritage industry, which can be very competitive for jobs. Since completing my studies I have managed to get an amazing job with the National Trust, without my MA I would have struggled to get this job and without the Sir Thomas White loan I would not have been able to afford my MA. This loan has really opened doors for me to start a career of my dreams and I am extremely thankful to the charity for giving me the opportunity to confidently pursue the career that I am passionate about.
Without the offer of a business loan from The Charity of Sir Thomas White, I wouldn't have been able to launch my own Fashion Brand. The support of the Trustees and their belief in me has enabled me to follow my dreams, which I thank them tremendously.
The Charity of Sir Thomas White has been extremely helpful in supporting my studies for the last 5 years. The money was a great financial boost at the start of each year when it was really needed for text books, equipment and rent for the coming terms. The support allowed me to thoroughly enjoy my time at University and spend more time studying. I am extremely grateful for all the help the charity has given me and would like to thank everyone for their continuing work.
Mog and Pauline
The business loan from The Charity of Sir Thomas White gave us the resources we needed to invest in our business in the early years of its growth, through refurbishment and recruitment. In doing this we have laid firm foundations of a sustainable and exciting business that can explore many more avenues. We are grateful for the Charity's support to us as young business owners and are confident that the Charity has contributed to the promising future of Warwick's only independent bookshop. Thank you.